Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A college edition of our Chinese Restaurant's Pepper Steak. Easy to do, and really filling. Thick Sauce is a very black and thick type of goo similar to molassas. Use light soy sauce and pepper to adjust to taste.
- 1 green pepper, sliced into 1 inch squares
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 can condensed beef broth
- 1⁄3 lb cubed beef or 1⁄3 lb stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon msg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon thick soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon oil
- cooked rice
- In a saucepan or pot, add the Oil and Condensed Beef Broth, and water as instructed on can (1 can)- Bring to a boil.
- Add Onions and Green peppers, simmer for 30 seconds.
- Toss raw beef in soy sauce and add both to broth.
- Add MSG, black pepper, salt and mix.
- Simmer for 1 minute, or until beef is done.
- Water down the corn starch with water and mix into a milky liquid.
- About 2 parts water to 1 part corn starch.
- Turn heat off but do not remove from burner and STIR in corn starch/ water mixture to broth to thicken.
- Add Thick Sauce to darken (optional).
- Should be a deep brown.
- Serve over rice.