1 hr 30 mins
James Craig's Note:
This recipe appeared in the "Cooking Light" magazine. It is very labor intensive, but well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 chicken breast halves (about 2& 1/4 pounds)
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups herbed seasoned stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons light butter, melted
- 1Combine first 5 ingredients in a dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- 2Add chicken; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender.
- 3Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; bring broth mixture to a boil.
- 4Cook until reduced to 4 cups (about 30 minutes) Pour reduced broth mixture into a zip-top plastic bag.
- 5Snip off 1 corner of bag; drain 2 cups broth mixture into a 2 cup glass mixture, stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening.
- 6Reserve the remaining broth mixture for another use.
- 7Discard fat.
- 8Remove chicken from skin and bones, shred with 2 forks to measure 4& 1/2 cups meat.
- 9Place the chicken in a 13 x 9 baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 10Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 11Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium high heat.
- 12Add mushrooms; Saute 5 minutes.
- 13Remove from skillet; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- 14Add 2 cups broth mixture; cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- 15Stir in mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- 16Pour over chicken.
- 17Combine the stuffing mix and butter in a bowl, and sprinkle over the mushroom mixture.
- 18Cover and bake casserole@ 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 19Uncover and cook casserole 10 minutes or until bubbly.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for College Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.7
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.7 mg
- Sodium 364.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned stuffing mix