1 hr 5 mins
When I was REALLY short on money and time, I threw this together. It turned out surprisingly good and I have done about a billion variations since. You can customize it for your taste and/ or what you have on hand.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups liquid (either chicken broth or water OR 1 can enchilada sauce OR 1 package taco seasoning with 2 c water)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 cup cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup olive, chopped (optional)
- 1cook turkey meat half way. drain.put into large baking dish.
- 2in meat pan, sauce onions, garlic, jalapeno, bell pepper until slightly browned. add to meat.
- 3in baking dish, add beans, rice, cumin.
- 4add enchilada sauce. If you are using taco seasoning or chicken broth for the liquid, it is important to have a 2:1 ratio of liquid to rice. DO NOT USE enchilada sauce AND full 2 cups water. If you only have 1/2 c enchilada sauce, make up the difference with water- that works fine too.
- 5cover with foil.
- 6bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 7last 5 minutes, add cheese and olives to top, uncover and put back in the oven.
- 8I would like to hear how you modified to fit your needs!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broke College Student Mexi-Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.2
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.3 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 32.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: